With the onset of a new year, health becomes the ultimate goal for many people. The change of the calendar creates a surge of optimism: new year, new you. But as we get further into January, it becomes easy to fall victim to the winter “blahs.” Then come the Superbowl Sunday parties, complete with mountains of nachos and chips. And last but not least, Valentine’s Day, the holiday which is basically synonymous with chocolate, is around the corner. No wonder most resolutions don’t last!
All this heavy eating can weigh us down (both physically and mentally) and leave us feeling sluggish. Our insides beg to be nourished and rejuvenated! In response, I present this ten-ingredient salad. It contains:
- Spinach, which is packed with vitamins like A and K that strengthen eyes and bones
- Kale, the king of superfoods, which boasts high levels of iron, calcium, and fiber
- Pomegranate, a renowned heart-healthy fruit with cancer-fighting antioxidants
- Sprouts, rich in protein and enzymes to aid in all bodily functions (wink, wink)
- Clementine slices, a great source of vitamin C
- Cucumber, which reduces bloating and inflammation
- Sliced almonds, which alkalize the body- when your body is not alkaline enough, you may experience low levels of energy
The dressing is a combination of:
- Flaxseed oil, which is high in omega-3’s for healthy skin, hair and nails
- Apple cider vinegar, famous for its ultra-cleansing properties including preventing indigestion and reducing swelling, and
- Cinnamon, which boosts metabolism.
So is your new years resolution to “get healthy” still going strong, or have you derailed a bit? Either way, this salad will help you continue on- or get back to- your path to health in 2014! (Serves two)
For the salad:
5 oz spinach
5 oz kale, shredded
The seeds of 1/2 of a pomegranate
2 tbsp sprouts
2 clementines, segmented
1/2 of a cucumber, diced
1/4 cup sliced almonds
For the dressing:
3 tbsp flaxseed oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
A dash of cinnamon
In a small bowl, combine flax seed (or olive) oil with apple cider vinegar. Sprinkle in some cinnamon. Whisk together thoroughly.
In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients. You can add more or less of each ingredient as you like- the important part is that they’re all in there!
*Hint: if you need help de-seeding the pomegranate, there are some wonderful how-to YouTube videos- [like this one] [will hyperlink]
Finally, combine dressing with the salad and give it a good toss. Garnish with some more sliced almonds if you wish. Happy detoxing!
Photo accreditation: Craig Dugas