As Mariah Carey’s classic holiday hit, “All I Want for Christmas Is You,” takes over radio stations everywhere, it is easy for some to sulk about being single during the holidays. I, however, have a different take on my current predicament. I believe the holiday season is about spending time with loved ones, whether that be family, friends, or significant others.
My first semester of college has taught me many things about myself, one being that I need to make decisions regarding my own well-being. To my fellow single folk, you do not need a significant other this season! Relish in your time spent back in your hometown and do the following things to enjoy the last bit of 2017.
- Cozy up with some hot chocolate, marshmallows, PJ’s, and your favorite blanket for a Christmas movie marathon. My personal favorites are Elf, Home Alone, and The Polar Express.
- Treat yourself to breakfast at your favorite local spot, because quality chocolate-chip pancakes can heal everything.
- Listen to all of your favorite Christmas jams on repeat. Michael Bublé is a must for this one…he has the voice of an actual angel.
- Donate your gently used coats, gloves, winter hats, mittens, and boots to a local Goodwill or Salvation Army. While this is a joyous time of the year for many, people everywhere live in poverty and need some help.
- Take a train into Philadelphia or New York City with friends- Marvel over the stunning light displays, go ice-skating with friends, or see a holiday themed performance.
- Bundle up in layers and spend some time outside! If snow has not yet devoured the sidewalks, take your pet for a nice stroll.
- SLEEP. While you have time off from work or school, take in all of the Z’s that you can. Charge yourself like a battery so you can start 2018 off right.
- Make some fun, DIY crafts- If you feel the need to redeem yourself from your subpar paper snowflakes of 2nd grade, now is your chance! Crafts are a great way to spend free time and destress.
- Channel your inner Ina Garten and whip up some peppermint bark, snickerdoodles, or whatever other baked good suits you! Distribute said baked good to those you love and you will definitely be their new favorite human being.
- This last one isn’t an activity, but a simple reminder. Do not forget how lucky you are to be alive and well this season, even if you don’t have a significant other to be with. Life is a whirlwind and you never know when things could change for better or for worse. Make the best of every minute and tell those you love how you feel about them. You are you and you are great, so relax and enjoy your break!
Who knows single folks, maybe this time next year our love lives will be thriving. But until then, I wish all of the lovely Loco readers happy holidays and a prosperous, healthy new year. Until 2018, I am signing off!